Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"I am smelling like rose" the Core Review

Core was the debut album from Stone Temple Pilots, and it's an AMAZING ONE! I can never get enough of this album. This album took forever for me to find, even though a million copies were sold. Favorite songs, about the whole album. The only song I've disliked partially was Naked Sunday. But probably my favorite- favorite would have to be between Crackman and Dead and Bloated, but then I love listening to Plush too.
Weiland and his bullhorn


 All songs have clear meanings:
-Naked Sunday- organised religion
-Wicked garden-lose of innocence and purity
-Sin- bad relationships
-Sex type thing- man's attitude toward women and abusive power
-Dead and Bloated-fame, insecurity, bad relationship, and maybe abortion
-Piece of Pie- in my opinion against the male stereotype, refusing to be the male chauvinist "Don't wanna let me be a man, Don't want to lead to your home" (showing a push against the male stereotype and showing a woman she is more then an object)
-Creep- social isolation
-Crackerman- has been debated to either be about a drug dealer or wanting to use "crack",
-Plush- the band says that it's about a rape/murder in San Diego
-Where the River goes- mortality, where will end up when you get judged, etc.

 If STP were to come back I think they should do an album similar to this because now at days rock is lacking greatly and we need some GREATNESS!

Review of Core

*Dead & Bloated-LOVE LOVE LOVE! and it's amazing song, more BULLHORN! Chills, how great this song is.
*Sex Type Thing- LOVE LOVE LOVE!
*Wicked Garden-LOVE LOVE LOVE!
*No Memory (instrumental)-LOVE! 
*Sin- another love, been playing this over and over again. love the break sounds Indian and great vocals, from low to mid range.
*Naked Sunday- only portion I don't like is the preachy section at the end of the song, otherwise this song rocks.
*Creep- I was always on the fence about this song, sometimes I'd like other times I wouldn't. Now at days love it.
*Piece of Pie- Probably my favorite song to date, been playing this over and over again. Even though I love this album, I've been really liking this song recently. Love the chords that go down during the chorus. I love all the catchy songs STP have made with the good hooks and the lyrics you will remember forever. It's staring me down/wearing a crown of APATHY!
*Plush- LOVE LOVE LOVE! Love his voice in it too. Also love the Unplugged version
*Wet My Bed- The most random-est track but it's funny. Story behind this track is Scott and Robert were goofing around when they made it. Creepy, but love how it ties into the next song.
*Crackerman- LOVE! First time I heard the Wieland bullhorn effect!
*Where the River Goes- I've also been playing this song non-stop. Loved it in my younger days too. Vocals rock!


Music Videos
Plush: won the 1994 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance. Stone Temple Pilots also won the MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist award at the 1993 MTV Music Video Awards.



Wicked Garden-the beginning  of this video reminded me of Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun video

Sex Type Thing- still love this video

Creep- Emo Scott is Emo



No comments:

Post a Comment